The Scottish Government’s work impacts on every aspect of society and our organisation is built on a culture where people genuinely matter. We cover areas like health, education, the economy, social security, national investment bank, culture, rural affairs and transport. This puts us at the heart of Scotland’s public services and institutions, with an annual budget of over £42 billion. We employ nearly 8,000 people, at 79 locations across Scotland.
The Scottish Government is a devolved administration of the UK Government. Civil Servants serving the governments of the UK, Scotland and Wales are part of the same Civil Service organisation and share the same culture and values.
The world is changing rapidly. And the pace of change is only going to get faster. As a result, we need a Civil Service that is capable of meeting these ever changing needs. One that truly reflects the people it serves and provides opportunities for everyone to fulfil their potential, regardless of their background. To do this we are investing in developing leaders who can lead our skilled people, in our great work places, to deliver improved outcomes for Scotland.
What we do
As Civil Servants our job is to put the Scottish Government’s purpose into action; to create a more successful country with opportunities for all to flourish through increasing wellbeing, and sustainable and inclusive economic growth. Our focus is set out in Scotland’s National Performance Framework, which incorporates the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals.
We support our National Performance Framework by delivering on an annual programme set by Scottish Ministers, called the Programme for Government
How we work
We support the Ministers who lead Scotland, and we aim to lead by example in the way we work.
- Supporting our people to be at their best – Our staff are our most important resource, and we are committed to supporting them to fulfil their potential.
- Collaborating with others – By working with the individuals and communities we serve, we can achieve more than we could alone.
- Aiming high and continually improving – Being ambitious for Scotland and ensuring we are making a real difference by measuring our progress.
- Understanding the power of diversity and inclusion – Allows us to positively challenge ourselves and develop new and innovative solutions.
- Being a great place to work – Creating a truly inclusive environment, in modern workplaces, with the technology to get the job done.
As Civil Servants we’re politically impartial and serve the government of the day in line with the civil service code. Our core values are:
- Integrity – putting the obligations of public service above personal interests.
- Honesty – being truthful and open.
- Objectivity – basing advice and decisions on rigorous analysis of the evidence.
- Impartiality – acting solely according to the merits of the case and serving governments of different political parties equally well.
We’re separate from parliament. The Scottish Parliament is made up of all elected members of the Scottish Parliament (MSPs) and is the law making body for devolved matters. It considers any proposed legislation and scrutinises the activities and policies of the Scottish Government through debates, parliamentary questions and the work of committees.
Find out more about…
- Our organisation
- What we are looking for, in the about you page
- The selction process, including reasonable adjustments, in the selection process page
- Discover the programme through the words of our graduates, in the people stories page
- A typical day on the programme, in the a day in the life page
- The GDP Preview Quiz – This should give you a good indication of whether or not you would enjoy being part of the programme!